[dpdk-dev] DPDK on EC2?

Patel, Rashmin N rashmin.n.patel at intel.com
Tue Mar 17 00:03:26 CET 2015

Just curious - I didn't understand the usage model here. In the Amazon EC2 instance (a VM,) do you want to run a DPDK application? Where do you intend to run OVS?

As far I remember, OVS has a datapath in Host kernel and you won't be given Host access by AWS. And I'm not sure if Amazon provides an OVS instance, but in case if they don't have an offering, you have to put your OVS installation in another VM (virtualizing network function) and bounce the traffic back to your VM(s.)

As far as Amazon Advanced Networking is concerned, you get a dedicated slice (an SRIOV Virtual Function) of a NIC in your VM, where a Physical Function Driver running in the Host (Amazon VMM-Xen I think) controls all the filtering configuration privileges.

Thanks,
Rashmin