[dpdk-dev] GitHub sandbox for the DPDK community

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Fri May 1 19:31:08 CEST 2015

On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 12:45:12PM -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
> Yes, but as you said above, using a web browser doesn't make reviewing patches
> faster.  In fact, I would assert that it slows the process down, as it prevents
> quick, easy command line access to patch review (as you have with a properly
> configured MUA).  That seems like we're going in the opposite direction of at
> least one problem we would like to solve.

Normally I'm a big command-line supporter. However I have found reviewing
patches by email for me is about the most painful workflow.

The emails are pages and pages.

The replies from commenters are buried in the walls of text.

Replies to replies keep shifting farther off the edge of the screen. The code
gets weirder and weirder to try to read.

Quickly reading over the patchset by scrolling through to get the flavor of
it, to see if I'm qualified to review it, and look at the parts I actually
know about is much harder.

I can go to one place to see every candidate patchset out there, the GH Pull
Request page. Then I can just sync up the branch and test it on my own systems
to see if it works, not just try to read it.

Github automatically minimizes old comments that are already fixed, so they
don't keep consuming space and mental bandwidth from the review.

All in all, I'd be able to review more DPDK patches faster with the GH
interface than having them in the mailing list.

Matthew.