[dpdk-dev] GitHub sandbox for the DPDK community

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Fri May 1 21:10:11 CEST 2015

On 5/1/15, 1:48 PM, "Neil Horman" <nhorman at tuxdriver.com> wrote:

>On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 10:31:08AM -0700, Matthew Hall wrote:
>> On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 12:45:12PM -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
>> > Yes, but as you said above, using a web browser doesn't make
>>reviewing patches
>> > faster.  In fact, I would assert that it slows the process down, as
>>it prevents
>> > quick, easy command line access to patch review (as you have with a
>>properly
>> > configured MUA).  That seems like we're going in the opposite
>>direction of at
>> > least one problem we would like to solve.
>>
>> Normally I'm a big command-line supporter. However I have found
>>reviewing
>> patches by email for me is about the most painful workflow.
>>
>> The emails are pages and pages.
>>
>So collapse the quoted text (see below)
>
>> The replies from commenters are buried in the walls of text.
>>
>Again, collapse the text, many MUA's let you do that, its not a feature
>unique
>to github.
>
>> Replies to replies keep shifting farther off the edge of the screen.
>>The code
>> gets weirder and weirder to try to read.
>>
>Text Collapse will reformat that for you.
>
>> Quickly reading over the patchset by scrolling through to get the
>>flavor of
>> it, to see if I'm qualified to review it, and look at the parts I
>>actually
>> know about is much harder.
>>
>Thats what the origional post is for, no?  Look at that to determine if
>you are
>qualified to read it.
>
>> I can go to one place to see every candidate patchset out there, the GH
>>Pull
>> Request page. Then I can just sync up the branch and test it on my own
>>systems
>> to see if it works, not just try to read it.
>>
>how is that different from a mailing list?  both let you search for
>posts, and
>both allow you to sync git branches (github via git remote/pull, mailing
>list
>via git am)
>
>> Github automatically minimizes old comments that are already fixed, so
>>they
>> don't keep consuming space and mental bandwidth from the review.
>An MUA can do that too.  IIRC evolution and thunderbird both have collapse
>features.  I'm sure others do too.

Not all email clients allow for collapsing threads, I am using outlook for
Mac and I do not think the windows version has that feature. I am not sure
Apple mail client can handle collapsing or not as I am stuck with outlook
as my email virus (I mean client) :-)

The point here is all emails clients have different ways of displaying the
information some good some bad. I see the GitHub method to be different,
but for me I am able to understand the way it handles comments and patches.

I have the same problems as Matthew, but I do not want to get into a email
client wars.