[dpdk-dev] GitHub sandbox for the DPDK community

Thomas F Herbert thomasfherbert at gmail.com
Sat May 2 14:37:59 CEST 2015

On 5/2/15 7:40 AM, Neil Horman wrote:
> On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 01:36:58PM -0700, Matthew Hall wrote:
>> On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 10:59:32PM +0300, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
>>> Projects like GCC, GLIBC, binutils, busybox, etc or what?
>>>
>>> A.
>> You'll notice all of these are low-level UNIX hacker sorts of tools mostly,
>> with the partial exception of busybox. But even that is mainly for embedded
>> use. It doesn't mean I don't think they're good and useful, but it does limit
>> the possible size of the community in my view.
>>
>> Since we are talking about how to get the largest widest community possible
>> for DPDK, it could require doing things a bit differently from how many
>> low-level tools have historically done things.
A look at gmane, http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.networking.dpdk.devel,
confirms the explosion of interest in DPDK in the last 6 months with
postings up to almost 70/day.  There is no problem with lack of interest
in DPDK nor is there a need to change the mechanics of hosting the
source to widen the audience. The case for DPDK is really compelling,
the idea for reducing the HW complexity by accelerating switch functions
on commodity HW is a fantastic benefit. Easily integrated accelerated
programmable switch functions is a great advantage as well.

I do think there may be an argument for increasing the number of
reviewers/maintainers or subdivide according to ares of interest perhaps
into 4 categories:
1. PMD drivers
2. librte core
3. applications