[dpdk-dev] GitHub sandbox for the DPDK community

Marc Sune marc.sune at bisdn.de
Mon May 4 11:05:49 CEST 2015

On 04/05/15 08:52, Simon Ka*gstro"m wrote:
> On 2015-05-01 17:56, Wiles, Keith wrote:
>> I believe the DPDK community would benefit from moving to GitHub as the
>> primary DPDK site. http://github.com
>> [...]
> While I'm really mostly a DPDK outsider, I'd like to express my support
> for this suggestion. For my part, I'm mostly interested in the general
> development discussion on dpdk-dev, not details about changes in e.g.,
> the i40 PMD code. Architecture discussions, usage questions etc tend to
> get drowned in an endless flow of patches.

Indeed. I was proposing in this mail:

http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2015-April/016909.html

to have dpdk-users and dpdk-dev.

>>   - GitHub has a per pull request discussions area, which gives a clean
>> way to review all discussions on a specific change.
> ... and I think this is one of the great features of github. For an
> example on how discussions on merge requests can look, take a look at
> e.g., one of the rust-lang merge requests:
>
>   https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/25058#discussion_r29548050
>
> which shows nice git commit links, discussions about relevant parts of
> the commits, automatic test results etc. Bug reports also get very
> nicely integrated into the workflow.
>

> I used to be more of a command-line guy, but I'm starting to see the
> benefits of the github way of doing things, and I think it would be a
> nice improvement for DPDK to start using it as well.

I agree that patch/bug discussion gets slightly improved, and scoped
(which is good and bad). I think we need to find a good integration with
the mailing list in order to both coexist.

Discussions cannot be broken into ML and GH.

marc