[dpdk-dev] Beyond DPDK 2.0

Avi Kivity avi at cloudius-systems.com
Thu May 7 17:33:41 CEST 2015

On 05/07/2015 06:27 PM, Wiles, Keith wrote:

> On 5/7/15, 7:02 AM, "Avi Kivity" <avi at cloudius-systems.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 6:11 PM, O'Driscoll, Tim
>> <tim.o'driscoll at intel.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anybody have any input or comments on this?

An initialization routine that accepts argc/argv can hardly be called clean.

In seastar, we have our own malloc() (since seastar is sharded we can
provide a faster thread-unsafe malloc implementation).  We also have our
own threading, and since dpdk is an optional component in seastar, dpdk
support requires code duplication.

I would like to launch my own threads, pin them where I like, and call
PMD drivers to send and receive packets.  Practically everything else
that dpdk does gets in my way, including mbuf pools.  I'd much prefer to
allocate mbufs myself.