[dpdk-dev] Beyond DPDK 2.0

Luke Gorrie luke at snabb.co
Thu May 7 17:34:17 CEST 2015

On 7 May 2015 at 16:02, Avi Kivity <avi at cloudius-systems.com> wrote:

> One problem we've seen with dpdk is that it is a framework, not a library:
> it wants to create threads, manage memory, and generally take over.  This
> is a problem for us, as we are writing a framework (seastar, [1]) and need
> to create threads, manage memory, and generally take over ourselves.

That is also broadly why we don't currently use DPDK in Snabb Switch [1].

There is a bunch of functionality in DPDK that would be tempting for us to
use and contribute back to: device drivers, SIMD routines, data structures,
and so on. I think that we would do this if they were available piecemeal
as stand-alone libi40e, libsimd, liblpn, etc.

The whole DPDK platform/framework is too much for us to adopt though. Some
aspects of it are in conflict with our goals and it is an all-or-nothing
proposition. So for now we are staying self-sufficient even when it means
writing our own ixgbe replacement, etc.

Having said that we are able to share code that doesn't require linking
into our address space e.g. vhost-user and potentially the bifurcated
drivers in the future. That seems like a nice direction for things to be
going in and a way to collaborate even without our directly linking with
DPDK.

[1] https://github.com/lukego/snabbswitch/blob/README/README.md