[dpdk-dev] Beyond DPDK 2.0

Avi Kivity avi at cloudius-systems.com
Thu May 7 18:05:28 CEST 2015

On 05/07/2015 06:49 PM, Wiles, Keith wrote:

> On 5/7/15, 8:33 AM, "Avi Kivity" <avi at cloudius-systems.com> wrote:

A config file would be even worse.  But we are discussing why
dpdk-as-a-framework is detrimental, not new ways for me to contribute.

>> In seastar, we have our own malloc() (since seastar is sharded we can
>> provide a faster thread-unsafe malloc implementation).  We also have our
>> own threading, and since dpdk is an optional component in seastar, dpdk
>> support requires code duplication.
> DPDK replies one the huge page support for allocation to get the
> performance, do you also not require huge page support.

Sorry, is this a question?  Please rephrase.

>   The malloc system
> in DPDK can be used as a replacement for the standard malloc if that works
> for your needs. Also after DPDK inits you can use your own malloc and any
> other tools you want to use.

How is memory partitioned between dpdk and my application?  If I
underallocate dpdk memory, something bad will happen.  If I overallocate
dpdk memory, then I am depriving my application of this memory.  A
common pool means I do not overallocate or underallocate, but since dpdk
insists on managing its own pools, I can't do this.

>   I do not see a lot of duplicate code here
> IMO. I guess if you are installing into a very small memory system then
> yes it could be a problem, but DPDK is was not designed to run in a system
> with limited memory.

I am not talking about duplicate code, but about duplicate
functionality, done slightly differently.  I want to use dpdk in the
same way as I use every other library, by calling its initialization
routine and then calling its functions.  In this scenario, the library
is passive, only reacting to my calls.  The way dpdk works now is
actively, taking over resources, creating thread, and calling my code
instead of the other way round.

>> I would like to launch my own threads, pin them where I like, and call
>> PMD drivers to send and receive packets.  Practically everything else
>> that dpdk does gets in my way, including mbuf pools.  I'd much prefer to
>> allocate mbufs myself.
> You do not need to use the lauching of threads in the EAL and can supply
> your own, right?

Right.