[dpdk-dev] No probed ethernet devices with shared library

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Mon May 18 11:34:53 CEST 2015

On 05/18/2015 12:55 AM, Stuart Andrews wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to create an app which uses the DPDK shared library and
> therefore I have
>
> CONFIG_RTE_BUILD_SHARED_LIB=y
>
> However, when I try to run 'test-pmd' I get
>
> EAL: No probed ethernet devices
>
> This is strange because when I compile DPDK with
> CONFIG_RTE_BUILD_SHARED_LIB=n and run 'test-pmd' everything works fine.
>
> I'm using the IGB UIO module on a x86_64 Ubuntu OS running on a vm and I
> set everything up according to the documentation.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

When building as shared library, all the drivers are dynamically
loadable plugins instead of the big pile o' everything you get when
statically linking. For now, you need to manually load any drivers you
need with the EAL -d option, eg if you use virtio NIC in the VM you'd
add this to testpmd: -d librte_pmd_virtio_uio.so

And yes its cumbersome. Doing something about it has been on my todo for
a while now, just been busy with other stuff.

	- Panu -