[dpdk-dev] Build DPDK with Google bazel

Ming Zhao mzhao at luminatewireless.com
Sun May 24 02:53:27 CEST 2015

bazel(http://bazel.io) is the open sourced version of Google build
tool, and it has proved itself is a nice solution for monolithic
server side development. In our company, we use both to build our
products and it greatly reduced the hurdle of rolling out any change
because we put the whole DPDK source code into tree and the build
process can easily produce final binaries at any point(i.e. we can put
a fix to DPDK code and the build process will always produce
up-to-date binary based on the change).

We pushed all our changes to github in "bazel"
branch(https://github.com/mzhaom/dpdk/tree/bazel) in case any one
wants to try it. At the moment, due to the complexity of setting up
bazel BUILD files to handle different compilation settings, we are not
actively pursuing to integrate these changes back to upstream. But
I'll be happy to answer any question and provide help in case anyone
wants to do so.

Thanks!