[dpdk-dev] ixgbe: ierrors counter spuriously increasing in DPDK 2.1

Martin Weiser martin.weiser at allegro-packets.com
Wed Nov 4 10:10:32 CET 2015

Hi Harry,

first of all thank you for your effort.
I have done some test with the current master (which includes you
patch). It improves the situation but does not fix it entirely. The
rx-error which showed up immediately after starting the interface is
gone since this was probably caused by mac_remote_errors. But we still
see a huge number of rx-errors although all packets are received
properly and when looking at the extended stats those come from the
rx_l3_l4_xsum_error counter.
In our setup we are dealing with lots of UDP traffic which does have the
UDP checksum set to 0 (which to my knowledge is allowed for UDP). This
traffic seems to cause those rx_l3_l4_xsum_errors. When doing the same
test with other NICs (e.g. XL710) no rx-errors are accounted.
For the generic stats interface I would prefer only packets that could
not be received to be accounted in the rx-error counter regardless of
the actual NIC. What do you think?

Regards,
Martin