[dpdk-dev] dpdk proposal installation process

Arevalo, Mario Alfredo C mario.alfredo.c.arevalo at intel.com
Tue Oct 20 02:21:00 CEST 2015

Hi folks,

      Good day, this is a proposal in order to improve the dpdk install process,
I would like to know your point of view about the next points according to
previous conversations :) in order to create a new patches version.

1) I think the first thing that I have to be aware is "compatibility", the
new changes won't affect the current dpdk behaviour.

2) Create new makefile rules, these rules is going to install dpdk files in
default paths, however the linux distributions don't use the same paths for their
files, the linux distribution and the architecture can be factor for different
path as Panu commented in previous conversations, he is right, then all variables
could be overridden, the variables names for the user can be included in documentation.
Also an option could be a configuration file for paths, however I'm not sure.

3) The default paths for dpdk in order to follow a hierarchy, however the variable
with those values can be overridden.

-install-bin          --> /usr/bin.
-install-headers  --> /usr/include/dpdk
-install-lib           --> /usr/lib64
-install-doc         --> /usr/share/doc/dpdk
-install-mod        --> if RTE_EXEC_ENV=linuxapp then KERNEL_DIR=/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/extra/drivers/dpdk
                                else KERNEL_DIR=/boot/modules).
-install-sdk         --> /usr/share/dpdk and call install-headers ).
-install-fhs          --> call install-libraries, install-mod, install-bin and install-doc (maybe install-headers)

4) I'm going to take account all feedback about variables, paths etc for the new version :).

Thank you so much for your help.

Mario.