[dpdk-dev] Inconsistent statistics counters for pmd_i40e

Eimear Morrissey eimear.morrissey at ie.ibm.com
Thu Oct 22 14:48:58 CEST 2015

Arnon Warshavsky <arnon at qwilt.com> wrote on 10/22/2015 12:12:47 PM:

> [...]

> > Hi Eimear
> >
> > This is the link I have.
> > https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24769
> >
> > I guess that the version seen in the web page comes from a different
> > parallel universe.
> > You should see the actual fw version inside the zip file.
>
> > Thanks
> > /Arnon
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 5:30 PM, Eimear Morrissey <
> eimear.morrissey at ie.ibm.com
> > > wrote:
> > Arnon Warshavsky <arnon at qwilt.com> wrote on 10/19/2015 03:01:46 PM:
> >
> > > From: Arnon Warshavsky <arnon at qwilt.com>
> > > To: Eimear Morrissey/Ireland/IBM at IBMIE
> > > Cc: dev at dpdk.org
> > > Date: 10/19/2015 03:01 PM
> > > Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Inconsistent statistics counters for pmd_i40e
> >

> > > Hi Eimear,
> > >
> > > I just experienced the same problem with firmware versions 4.23 and
> > > 4.33 (dpdk 2.0). Did not get to try the latest which is 4.5.
> > > Looking at the code, I don't see that this counter is being read any
> > > differently than its peer counters and I suspect the nic itself.
> > > Can you tell which firmware version you were using?
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > /Arnon
> > >
> > > On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Eimear Morrissey <
> > eimear.morrissey at ie.ibm.com
> > >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm having issues measuring packets dropped at the NIC in both the
2.0.0
> > > and 2.1.0 versions of DPDK on an X710 Intel NIC.
> > >
> > > In dpdk-2.0.0
> > > Using rte_eth_xstats the rx_packets and rx_bytes counters increase as
> > > expected, however rx_missed_errors is always 0 even if a sleep
> statement is
> > > added between calls to rte_eth_rx_burst. However changing the
coremask so
> > > the application is running on a different socket than the card will
cause
> > > rx_missed_errors to increment for a limited amount of time and then
stop.
> > > Using rte_eth_stats, ipackets is incremented on packet receipt but
the
> > > q_ipackets and q_errors arrays remain zero. Even crossing sockets
seems to
> > > have no effect on q_errors.
> > >
> > > In dpdk-2.1.0 the behaviour is the same as above, except that
> the number of
> > > fields returned by rte_eth_xstats_get is reduced (no rx_missed errors
at
> > > all) so running on a different socket no longer has any noticeable
effect
> > > on the stats.
> > >
> > > My understanding from the API manual is that the rte_eth_stats
q_errors
> > > array should count the packets missed because software isn't polling
fast
> > > enough, but that doesn't seem to be the case? Is there a standard
DPDK way
> > > to check this? The application is a forwarding one so there's noother
way
> > > to estimate drop except through NIC rx.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Eimear
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > Arnon Warshavsky
> > > Qwilt | work: +972-72-2221634 | mobile: +972-50-8583058 |
arnon at qwilt.com

> > Hi Arnon,
> >
> > The firmware version I'm using is 4.26. Where do you see the latest
> > is 4.5 - I can't find anything obvious in the download centre?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Eimear
> >

> > --
> >
> > Arnon Warshavsky
> > Qwilt | work: +972-72-2221634 | mobile: +972-50-8583058 |
arnon at qwilt.com

> I tried installing the firmware but on running the NVM update tool I
> just get "No updates available for your device" which makes me think
> that (for my SKU at least) I'm on the latest firmware.
>
> Also, if I bind the card back to the i40e driver, I can force the
> dropped count in ifconfig to increase by decreasing the rx ring size
> so I'm not convinced it's entirely a hardware issue.
>
> Regards,
> Eimear
>

> --
>
> Arnon Warshavsky
> Qwilt | work: +972-72-2221634 | mobile: +972-50-8583058 | arnon at qwilt.com

Thanks for the thread link - I didn't see it when I searched.

As for firmware - ethtool gives me:
driver: i40e
version: 1.3.39.1
firmware-version: 4.26 0x80001609 0.0.0
bus-info: 0000:86:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes
supports-eeprom-access: yes
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: yes

Which is lower than the version from the NVM update tool (4.5 as you said)
but attempting to update just gives

Intel(R) Ethernet NVM Update Tool
NVMUpdate version 1.25.20.03
Copyright (C) 2013 - 2015 Intel Corporation.

WARNING: TO AVOID DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE, DO NOT EXIT OR REBOOT OR POWER OFF
THE SYSTEM DURING THIS UPDATE
Inventory in progress. Please wait [+.........]

Num Description                            Device-Id B:D   Adapter Status