[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-announce] DPDK support in the Click Modular Router

tom.barbette at ulg.ac.be tom.barbette at ulg.ac.be
Wed Oct 28 09:39:28 CET 2015

Hi all,

We just had DPDK support merged to the mainline Click Modular Router
(https://github.com/kohler/click). Click is well-known to academics and
research teams as it allows to pipe simple elements together to build a
complex graph.

While DPDK already provides the pipelining part, Click comes with hundred of
simple elements. Moreover, Click has came back recently on the front of the
stage because it lends itself as a good platform for NFV.

Some time ago our team from the University of Liege published a paper
(http://hdl.handle.net/2268/181954) about how to integrate modern hardware
exposed by DPDK and Netmap inside userspace software like Click. We made a
stripped down version (mostly removing batching) of the implementation
built to support our paper which stills give unprecedentedly matched speed to
Click (comparing the best speed achievable with the mainline Click which was
by using Netmap : http://bit.ly/1Z2Eg4W).

I hope you'll find it useful, and we'll greatly appreciate feedback regarding
our thoughts in the paper or the implementation itself.

Tom Barbette
University of Liege