[dpdk-dev] rte_eal_init() alternative?

Don Provan dprovan at bivio.net
Wed Sep 2 20:17:40 CEST 2015

Thomas Monjalon:
>Yes but please, do not create an alternative init function.
>We just need to replace panic/exit with error codes and be sure that apps and examples handle them correctly.

I understand your concerns, but the panics are really just the tip of the iceberg of the EAL library not realizing it's a library. It really makes no sense to think the library should define the application's command line, or that the PCI bus should be probed without considering whether this application is going to use PCI, and or to insist that EAL work be done on internal EAL threads.

So I'd say it's way past time to consider revamping initialization to start the process of ending the DPDK library's tail wagging the application's dog. Naturally this would have to be done while retaining the existing init routine on top of a real library initialization, but that's just an unfortunate artifact of the library's history, not a rational design decision for moving forward.

-don provan