[dpdk-dev] PMD/l3fwd issue

Harish Patil harish.patil at qlogic.com
Fri Sep 4 15:07:30 CEST 2015

Hi Konstantin,

>Hi Patil,

Yes, I agree if its our private application. But l3fwd being widely used
as a benchmarking/testing tool and they may ran into this issue.

>> So I’m looking for suggestions here, whether l3wd application or poll
>>mode
>> driver should be changed to fix that? What is the right thing to do?
>> Can a check be added in l3fwd to use _mm_loadu_si128/_mm_storeu_si128
>> instructions instead of mm_load_si128/_mm_store_si128 if address is
>>found
>> not be 16B aligned?
>
>I'd personally just change l3fwd to use to use
>_mm_loadu_si128/_mm_storeu_si128 unconditionally.
>As by default  address is 16B aligned anyway, I think that using MOVDQU
>instead of MOVDQA here
>shouldn't make that big difference.
>But off course testing need to be done to make sure there is no
>performance drop with that change.

I too would just change l3fwd application so that all poll mode drivers
would just work. Are you proposing that we upstream l3fwd change if we
don’t see performance drop?