[dpdk-dev] ethtool doesnt work on some interface after unbinding dpdk

Gopakumar Choorakkot Edakkunni gopakumar.c.e at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 16:48:44 CEST 2016

All,

I have a Xeon machine with linux kernel 3.14 and dpdk 2.0, I have 6 ports
of which 4 are igb and 2 are ixgbe drivers .. I use the python script in
the dpdk distribution to bind and unbind the ports. I unbind them from
linux and bind to igb_uio, dpdk works just fine, then after a while I
unbind from igb_uio and bind them back to igb/ixgbe. At this point, one of
the 4 igb ports (random) stops responding to ethtool, ethtool bails out
with some error. But otherwise the interface seems to work fine, it has a
linux interface created and pops up in /sys/class/net etc.. Has anyone seen
this before ? I thought of checking before starting to debug this further

Rgds,
Gopa.