[dpdk-dev] Couple of PMD questions

Andriy Berestovskyy aber at semihalf.com
Wed Apr 20 11:35:18 CEST 2016

Hi Jay,

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 10:16 PM, Jay Rolette <rolette at infinite.io> wrote:
> Should the driver error out in that case instead of only "sort of" working?

+1, we hit the same issue. Error or log message would help.

> If I support a max frame size of 9216 bytes (exactly a 1K multiple to make
> the NIC happy), then max_rx_pkt_len is going to be 9216 and data_room_size
> will be 9216 + RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM.

Try to set max_rx_pkt_len <= 9K - 8 and mempool element size to 9K +
headroom + size of structures.

> Is that check correct?

Datasheet says:
The MFS does not include the 4 bytes of the VLAN header. Packets with
VLAN header can be as large as MFS + 4. When double VLAN is enabled,
the device adds 8 to the MFS for any packets.

Regards,
Andriy