[dpdk-dev] Memory leak when adding/removing vhost_user ports

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Thu Apr 21 11:07:16 CEST 2016

Hi,
I can follow your argument that - and agree that in this case the leak
can't be solved your patch.
Still I found it useful to revise it along our discussion as eventually it
will still be a good patch to have.
I followed your suggestion and found:
- rte_vhost_driver_register callocs vserver (implies fh=0)
- later when on init when getting the callback to vserver_new_vq_conn it
would get set by ops->new_device(vdev_ctx);
- but as you pointed out that could be fh = 0 for the first
- so I initialized vserver->fh with -1 in rte_vhost_driver_register - that
won't ever be a real fh.
- later on get_config_ll_entry won't find a device with that then on the
call by destroy_device.
- so the revised patch currently in use (still for DPDK 2.2) can be found
here http://paste.ubuntu.com/15961394/

Also as you requested I tried with no guest attached at all - that way I
can still reproduce it.
Here is a new stacktrace, but to me it looks the same
http://paste.ubuntu.com/15961185/
Also as you asked before a log of the vswitch, but it is 895MB since a lot
of messages repeat on port add/remove.
Even compressed still 27MB - I need to do something about verbosity there.
Also the system journal of the same time.
Therefore I only added links to bz2 files.
The crash is at "2016-04-21T07:54:47.782Z" in the logs.
=>
http://people.canonical.com/~paelzer/ovs-dpdk-vhost-add-remove-leak/mem-leak-addremove.journal.bz2
=>
http://people.canonical.com/~paelzer/ovs-dpdk-vhost-add-remove-leak/ovs-vswitchd.log.bz2