[dpdk-dev] [RFC 0/4] Use Google Test as DPDK unit test framework

Ming Zhao(赵明) mzhao at luminatewireless.com
Wed Aug 3 22:46:36 CEST 2016

googletest is a very nice test framework and we use it very
extensively in our company(Luminate Wireless), together with gmock.

I understand the resistance from the maintainers that are concerned
about introducing a C++ dependency to a pure C code base. The approach
we take doesn't require any change to the dpdk core, instead we just
use things like a mock PMD(through gmock framework) to allow mocking
the RX/TX code path, disabling huge page usage in test so that the
test can be easily launched without worrying about huge page
collision, etc.

Personally I highly recommend using googletest plus some basic test
cases, which removes a lot of boilerplate and let the developers focus
the test itself.