[dpdk-dev] Running DPDK in a VM

Pankaj Chauhan pankaj.chauhan at nxp.com
Wed Aug 10 07:19:58 CEST 2016

On 8/4/2016 3:51 PM, Vaibhav Sood wrote:
Hi,

> Hi!
>
> I am looking at running DPDK in a VM, I would like to know if there are any limitations when doing this in terms of any DPDK features that do not work in a VM

We do run DPDK in VM, and we have not come across any major limitations.
There are multiple ways to run DPDK in virtual machine, if you are using
virtio devices:

1. vhost-switch : please refer following link:

http://dpdk.readthedocs.io/en/v16.04/sample_app_ug/vhost.html

2. you can use OVS also as backend instead of vhost-switch.

we've used both methods on our platforms and they work fine.

> The only post I came across for running DPDK in a VM is this: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2013-September/000441.html
>
> As an example, I tried to run the DPDK test suite (DTS, http://dpdk.org/doc/dts/gsg/ ) and see some tests fail saying virtio nics are not supported (Specifically, the ethertype_filter and five_tuple_filter tests give an error: FAILED ''virtio nic not support syn filter''). I would like to know if there are any limitations along these lines when running DPDK in VMs as compared to physical machines/NICS
>
> Thanks!
> Vaibhav

Thanks,
Pankaj