[dpdk-dev] ixgbevf: support multicast packets from PF to VF

Dey, Souvik sodey at sonusnet.com
Fri Dec 2 18:26:57 CET 2016

Hi All,
                I am trying to support multicast packet over SRIOV using kernel PF + DPDK VF(ixgbevf) drivers for ipv6. I am currently using 2.1 DPDK and found that there was a patch in 16.04 for "ixgbe: support multicast promiscuous mode on VF". So I have backported the patch to the 2.1 DPDK but still multicast packets were not coming up to the DPDK app. Then I tried to enable the rte_eth_dev_set_mc_addr_list and with the the packets were coming up properly. Now I have some doubts :

1.       Do we have to use both rte_eth_dev_set_mc_addr_list and rte_eth_allmulticast_enable to get the multicast packets.

2.       How do we get the mc_addr_list dynamically as I don't see we are using the kni_net_set_rx_mode in rte_kni. Without this the DPDK app will not have any idea to update the mc_addr_list in the PF.

3.       Is there any other patches which I should be using to get this functionality working.

I am using : DPDK -2.1
Host kernel - 4.4 ( ubuntu)
Guest kernel - 3.2 (Debian)
Drivers - ixgbe ( for both pf and vf).

Thanks in advance for the help and support.

Souvik