[dpdk-dev] DPDK Accelaration Enhancement

Ant loves honey ant_love_honey at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 24 18:25:58 CET 2016

Currently DPDK has the crypto PMD (.../drivers/crypto/qat/) and example code (.../examples/dpdk_qat).
Intel QuickAssist Technology also supports compression along with crypto.  Last weekend, there is a proposed project to Intel Dev Mesh - "A VPP plugin utilizing Intel QucikAssist Technology to perform hardware assisted compression operations"

https://devmesh.intel.com/projects/a-vpp-plugin-utilizing-intel-quickassist-technology-to-perform-hardware-assisted-compression-operation

Do we need a new PMD driver for compression or should we modify the exiting crypto/qat driver to also support compression?

The Intel QAT driver should be present in any Linux kernel greater than version 4.4

I am trying to put the pieces together and hitting a roadblock. I am also figuring how the PMD driver is interacting with the Intel QAT driver at the code level.
Any pointer on how to move forward is greatly appreciated.
Please also let me know if I should modify the proposed project.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
Anthony.