[dpdk-dev] rings PMD detaching

Mauricio Vásquez mauricio.vasquezbernal at studenti.polito.it
Tue Feb 2 02:37:23 CET 2016

Hello Everybody,

I was wondering if there were a way to detach (delete) a ring pmd device
created with rte_eth_from_rings.  I realized that rte_eth_dev_detach does
not work in this case because there is a comparison between the device's
name and the driver's name in rte_eal_vdev_uninit, then devices created
with arbitrary names can not be uninitialized.

My question is how to implement it?, I have two ideas on mind:
- make rte_pmd_ring_devuninit a public function, then the user can call
this using as argument the name of the device.
- modify rte_eal_vdev_uninit in such a way that there is not any comparison
based on the dev name, probably it will require to add some extra field in
the rte_eth_dev structure to distinguish between the different virtual
devices.

Any idea or comment about it?

Thank you very much