[dpdk-dev] DPDK-QoS - link sharing across classes

sreenaath vasudevan sreenaathkv at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 22:09:10 CET 2016

Hi
I currently have QoS implemented in hardware and I am thinking of using
DPDK's QoS feature to move it to software.
Currently in the hardware,Based on the 4 class per pipe and 4 queues per
class limitation, I was thinking of using 4 classes in DPDK-QoS and spread
out the 8 h/w queues across the 4 classes.
Let me explain with an example. Currently, this is how the h/w queue is
represented
Q0 - 10% b/w
Q1- 10%  b/w
Q2- 15% b/w
Q3 - 15% b/w
Q4 - 15% b/w
Q5 - 15% b/w
Q6 - 10% b/w
Q7 - 10% b/w

Translating the above config to DPDK-QoS, based on my application need, Q0
and Q1 can be logically grouped under class0 with upper b/w = 20%; Q2, Q3,
Q4, Q5 can be logically grouped under class2 with upper b/w = 60%; Q6 and
Q7 can be logically grouped under class 3 with super b/w = 20%.

However, in the h/w, link sharing is available across all the 8 queues.
DPDK materials say link sharing "typically" is enabled for last class, in
this case class2. However, I also want class 1 or class 0 to use the
remaining bandwidth when class2 does not have any traffic and so on. Can
this be done in DPDK ? Do we have a concept of min and max b/w guarantee at
the class level in DPDK-QoS ?

Thanks !

--
regards