[dpdk-dev] IPV6 RSS not working in i40e

Rahul Ramachandran rahulnitk2004 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 12:44:44 CET 2016

Hi,

    I am using dpdk 2.1. I see the hash flags are unified compared to my
previous version 1.8.
    But with DPDK 2.1 in Fortville NIC's, I see ipv6 RSS is not working,
all the frames are queued to
    first queue even though I have 16 queues (RETA table looks correct).

    For IPV4 RSS works as expected in Fortville. Also in 10G, both ipv4 and
ipv6 RSS works.

    My RSS configuration is : rss_hf = ETH_RSS_IP | ETH_*RSS*
_NONFRAG_IPV4_TCP | ETH_*RSS*_NONFRAG_IPV4_UDP

    I see ETH_RSS_IP contains Layer3 hash flags for ipv6.

    #define ETH_*RSS*_IP ( \
              ETH_*RSS*_IPV4 | \
              ETH_*RSS*_FRAG_IPV4 | \
              ETH_*RSS*_NONFRAG_IPV4_OTHER | \
              ETH_*RSS*_*IPV6* | \
              ETH_*RSS*_FRAG_*IPV6* | \
              ETH_*RSS*_NONFRAG_*IPV6*_OTHER | \
              ETH_*RSS*_*IPV6*_EX)

    But when I query the hash flags, I get the value of 8888. I understand
while configuring RSS
    HF in the 40G NIC, we mask the configured RSS HF with NIC specific mask
flags before writing to NIC. But I am not
    sure after masking it is taking the flags for IPV6.

    The mask or I40E:            I40E_*RSS*_OFFLOAD_ALL    . I see this
conatins the flags ETH_*RSS*_FRAG_*IPV6 & *ETH_*RSS*_NONFRAG_*IPV6*_OTHER.

    Are you aware of any such problems?

Thanks