[dpdk-dev] Virtio xstats problem

Van Haaren, Harry harry.van.haaren at intel.com
Fri Feb 26 15:29:19 CET 2016

> From: dev [mailto:dev-bounces at dpdk.org] On Behalf Of Igor Ryzhov
> I found some problem with virtio xstats counters.
>
> Example:
>
> rx_good_packets: 3
> rx_good_bytes: 180
> rx_errors: 0
>
> rx_q0_good_packets: 3
> rx_q0_good_bytes: 180
> rx_q0_errors: 0
>
> rx_q0_multicast_packets: 3
> rx_q0_broadcast_packets: 1
> rx_q0_undersize_packets: 3

> It means that undersize packets are counted as good packets instead of errors.

Are you sending 64 byte packets? There are no 4 bytes of CRC on virtual
interfaces, so 60 bytes per packet is OK.

> Or maybe
> size of packet is calculated wrong.
> I don't have time now to check it more deeply - I can do it sometime later, but maybe
> someone want to help.

Are the packets multicast or broadcast?
It looks like one of the counters there is wrong.

> PS. Is it a common practice to count broadcast packets twice - in broadcast and multicast
> counters?

No packet should be counted twice - it must be put into one bucket of mutli, broad or unicast.

-Harry