[dpdk-dev] [PKTGEN] OK to reindent the pktgen (mix of tabs and spaces, etc.)?

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Mon Jan 4 03:35:21 CET 2016

On 1/3/16, 4:07 PM, "dev on behalf of Matthew Hall" <dev-bounces at dpdk.org on behalf of mhall at mhcomputing.net> wrote:

>On 1/3/16 9:09 AM, Wiles, Keith wrote:
>> Pktgen is setup for tabs for 4 (with replace tabs with spaces), using tab stop of 8 is just wrong IMO :-)
>> Just started using kdevelop instead of eclipse, so I may have corrupted the style some :-(
>
>The problem I found was a number of files had an incompatible
>combination of the two formats.
>
>Personally, I agree tab size 4 w/ spaces instead of tabs is easiest to
>read and edit. But I could live with any space based system for the most
>part. I find tab based systems are unpleasant because it is difficult
>when tabs are used for one thing and spaces for another thing. This
>annoyance also applies to DPDK and the kernel but it's too late for both
>of those.
>
>> At least it is suppose to be done that way. I will reformat the code (with tabs=4) and have a look at the output.
>
>Thanks this will be a big help.
>
>> I can run the astyle on the code and look at the output, if it looks OK I will submit it to the repo
>
>Sounds great... it is no big hurry on my end but I want to start with a
>clean slate before I get invested in the code, and start really hitting
>it hard, and making patches.
>
>The formatting command I provided is not perfect, but it was the best I
>could do with the various popular indenter tools to try to avoid messing
>up too much of the rest of the good code in the files in the process of
>fixing the format.
>
>You might be able to improve it a bit further w/ some additional
>experimentation since you are the original maintainer of the code
>obviously. Or perhaps reformat using tools in Eclipse or KDevelop? I had
>good luck w/ Eclipse before with special configuration but I only mostly
>used the Java mode not the C / C++ one which is less good.

I push a version of Pktgen with cleaned up formatting using ‘uncrustify 0.61’ and 'UniversalIndentGUI 1.2.0 Rev 1070 13 Aug 2015’. I put the script and configuration file in the top directory. The formatting looks close to DPDK coding guidelines, but I am sure some tweaks would need to be done.

Uncrustify has a huge number of options and not always clear as to the effect an option has on the code. Header files seems to get effected a bit more then C code as the formatting is usual done by hand I guess. The only way to see the deltas is with UnviersalIndentGUI tool.

All of this is on the ‘dev’ branch, so let me know what you think.

++Keith

>Matthew.

Regards,
Keith