[dpdk-dev] [RFC v2 1/2] ethdev: add packet filter flow and new behavior switch to fdir

Wu, Jingjing jingjing.wu at intel.com
Fri Jan 15 02:30:53 CET 2016

Hi, Rahul

> This approach seems generic enough to allow any vendor specific data
> to be passed in filter as well.  However, 80 seems to be too low for
> multiple flow types that can be combined in the same filter rule.
> I think size of 256 seems reasonable.

Yes, 80 is just an example.
> Could the same thing be done for action arguments as well? Can we add
> the same generic info to rte_eth_fdir_action too?
>
> struct rte_eth_fdir_action {
>         uint16_t rx_queue;
> 	enum rte_eth_fdir_behavior behavior;
> 	enum rte_eth_fdir_status report_status;
> 	uint8_t flex_off;
> +       uint8_t behavior_arg[256];
> };
>
> This way, we can pass vendor specific action arguments too. What do
> you think?
Yes, it also makes sense.
> Also, now if we take this approach then, I am wondering, that all
> vendors would need to document their own vendor-specific format of
> taking filter match and filter action arguments, right?
>
> And probably, even come up with their own example application showing
> how to apply filters via dpdk on their card?
Yes, I guess it will be better to doc it or example it. Even currently, different kinds of NIC may need different configuration.
Or you can add description (how to configure) in your driver's comment log?
Not sure about the others' opinion?

Thanks
Jingjing