[dpdk-dev] Sending and receiving on the same port at the same time, from different threads

Zoltan Kiss zoltan.kiss at linaro.org
Fri Jan 15 17:54:11 CET 2016

Hi,

I've been asked this question, and I realized I'm not sure about the
answer. In other words: can you call rte_eth_tx_burst() and
rte_eth_tx_burst() on the same port at the same time from different
threads? In theory it seems possible, as you still access different
queues (an RX and a TX one), and at least taking a glance at ixgbe
vector functions, they don't seem to use common resources while doing RX
or TX. But I'm not sure that it's generally true, although I always
assumed that it should be true. Have anyone seen a device where it
wasn't true?

Regards,

Zoltan