[dpdk-dev] [PKTGEN] dumb question: how to start packet TX and set the payload

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Thu Jan 21 16:05:38 CET 2016

On 1/21/16, 12:15 AM, "dev on behalf of Matthew Hall" <dev-bounces at dpdk.org on behalf of mhall at mhcomputing.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I was trying to just use the default PKT file, test/set_seq.pkt, like so:
>
>sudo "./app/app/${RTE_TARGET}/pktgen" \
>-l 2,3 \
>--master-lcore 2 \
>-n 2 \
>-m 1024 \
>-w 0a:00.1 \
>--no-shconf \
>--file-prefix pktgen \
>-- \
>-P \
>-m 2.0 \
>-f test/set_seq.pkt
>
>After pktgen loaded, the port 0 is marked as UP. So I typed "start all"
>and also tried "str". Sadly, so far, it seems like I could not get this
>to actually begin sending any packets. At least, no counters are
>incrementing in the pktgen UI. So I wasn't sure how to make sure it is
>really sending or not.
>
>The documentation talked about many different commands available, but it
>didn't specifically say how to start transmitting the packets based on
>the content of your *.pkt script file.
>
>I'm just trying to figure out what I messed up so that I can write
>(another) doc patch besides the one I just sent a moment ago.
>
>I was also curious about putting some specific payloads into the packets
>in pktgen. There are many ways of configuring the packet size, but it
>doesn't talk about how and where to set the packet content. This is
>important for my app as its performance will go up and down depending on
>if the L4-L7 data has "interesting" content inside or not.

Forgot to answer this one. Pktgen does not allow the user to define the content of the packet per say only the fill pattern and what ever you configure the packet type to be. If you would like to submit a patch for adding user specific content it has always been a goal of my to add that feature.

>Sincerely,
>Matthew.

Regards,
Keith