[dpdk-dev] DPDK Stable Releases and Long Term Support

Yuanhan Liu yuanhan.liu at linux.intel.com
Thu Jul 28 15:01:14 CEST 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:33:18PM +0000, Mcnamara, John wrote:
> Initial Stable Release
> ----------------------
>
> The initial DPDK Stable Release will be 16.07. It will be viewed as a trial of
> the Stable Release/LTS policy to determine what are the best working practices
> for DPDK.
>
> The maintainer for the initial release will be Yuanhan Liu
> <yuanhan.liu at linux.intel.com>. It is hoped that other community members will
> volunteer as maintainers for other Stable Releases.
>
> The initial targeted release for LTS is proposed to be 16.11 based on the
> results of the work carried out on the 16.07 Stable Release.
>
> A list has been set up for Stable Release/LTS specific discussions:
> <stable at dpdk.org>. This address can also be used for CCing maintainers on bug
> fix submissions.

Yes, we could use this mailing list for that. But it's slightly
different from what I proposed in the first time:

For each bug fix patch that need be backported to a stable branch,
it's suggested to add following line in the commit log, just before
your Signed-off-by:

   Cc: <stable at dpdk.org>

So that this patch will be cc'ed to the stable mailing list; this
is an explicit sign to tell the stable maintainers, "hey, there
is a candidate for a stable release. Please review and consider
merge it".

If we have several stable branches later and a patch just applies
to a specific branch, it could be:

    Cc: v16.07 <stable at dpdk.org>

And we should doc this at page http://dpdk.org/dev.

	--yliu