[dpdk-dev] about rx checksum flags

Ananyev, Konstantin konstantin.ananyev at intel.com
Wed Jun 1 11:06:36 CEST 2016

Hmm, I don't see the point here.
If the HW clearly reports that checksum is invalid (not unknown),
why SW has to assume it is ' undetermined' and recheck it?
To me that means just wasted cycles.
In general, it sounds like really strange approach to me:
write your SW with assumption that all HW you are going to use
will not work correctly.

> > In that case the application can drop/log the packet without any
> > additional cpu cost.
> >
> > What do you mean by beeing unusable by general application?
>
> Right now application can only see "known bad" or "indeterminate"
> there is no way to no which packets are good. Since good is the desired/expected
> case, software has to checksum every packet.
>

> > I think the "2)" also requires a csum_start + csum_offset in
> > mbuf structure, right?
>
> Not really, it would mean having a way to get the raw one's complement sum
> out of the hardware. This is a good way to support the tunnel protocol du jour
> without having to have firmware support. Unfortunately, most hardware vendors
> don't believe in doing it that way.

It might be a good feature to have, but if most HW vendors don't support it
why to bother?

> > Do you also suggest to drop IP checksum flags?
>
> IP checksum offload is mostly useless. If application needs to look
> at IP, it can do whole checksum in very few instructions, the whole header
> is in the same cache line as src/dst so the HW offload is really no help.
>

> > Will it be possible to manage tunnel checksums?
> >
> > I think this would be a pretty big change. If there is no additional
> > argument than beeing more compatible with virtio/linux, I'm wondering
> > if it's worth breaking the API. Let's wait for other opinions.

I think that what Olivier proposed is good enough and
definitely a step forward from what we have right now.

Konstantin