[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-users] Get interface speed through IOCTL

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Wed Jun 22 14:31:45 CEST 2016

2016-06-22 17:49, Gadre Nayan:
> I need to get the interface speed though standard IOCTL call:
[...]
> However, for 10G interface I do not read a correct speed, since it may
> not be supported.

Yes

> Out 1G cards are I350 and 10G card is I40.
[...]
> There is no support for 10000base. So to get the ioctl working for 10G
> card, is it a trivial change of adding few more support options and
> adding another case SPEED_10000 clause, or is it more involved ?

You are talking about KNI which has some old ethtool support for
some igb and ixgbe NICs.
My opinion is that we should drop this ethtool support which do not
compile everywhere and has a very limited support.

If you want to get the speed information, you have several other ways
to explore:
	- communicating with the DPDK application
	- make a secondary application process
	- add the feature in the secondary process app/proc_info
	- use examples/ethtool (and check if it can be promoted in lib/)
	- implement a kernel module upstream

If you just need to get the speed info, I feel app/proc_info would be
a good idea.