[dpdk-dev] Reg: promiscuous mode on VF

Rose, Gregory V gregory.v.rose at intel.com
Wed Mar 16 17:10:50 CET 2016

Intel has not supported promiscuous mode for virtual functions due to the security concerns mentioned below.

There will be upstream support in an upcoming Linux kernel for setting virtual functions as "trusted" and when that is available then Intel will allow virtual functions to enter unicast promiscuous mode on those Ethernet controllers that support promiscuous mode for virtual functions in the HW/FW.  Be aware that not all Intel Ethernet controllers have support for unicast promiscuous mode for virtual functions.  The only currently released product that does is the X710/XL710.

The key take away is that unicast promiscuous mode for X710/XL710 virtual functions requires Linux kernel support, iproute2 package support and driver support.  Only when all three of these are in place will the feature work.

Thanks,

- Greg