[dpdk-dev] testpmd could not start up with vmxnet3 port

Vincent Li vincent.mc.li at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 18:27:27 CET 2016

> Currently vmxnet3’s default_txconf.txq_flags is set to the following, which is used by testpmd
> as there is no explicit txconf passed when initializing tx queue:
>
>         dev_info->default_txconf.txq_flags = ETH_TXQ_FLAGS_NOMULTSEGS |
>                                                 ETH_TXQ_FLAGS_NOOFFLOADS;
>
> With the referred patch that introduced l4 cksum offload, we should update the default txq
> flags check accordingly.  Heng, can you post the error logs to confirm this is indeed the cause
> of the error you reported?
>
> Related to this, I saw that the check for NOMULTISEGS has been removed and the check for
> NOVLANOFF was never implemented.  Should we just remove the offload flags check as well
> as I don’t see much value of this check.  Basically we know that the device does not support
> certain offload and we have to set those flags to let the device initialize. But doing this does
> nothing to prevent users to request these non-supported offload.  I also saw another thread
> discussing better device capability APIs and hopefully this will not be needed then.

somehow hijack this thread, in my company  ESXi environment, we are
using tagged vlan in ESXi (select "network label" in vsphpere client
when adding VM network adapter. I found the DPDK application packet
running on one ESXi VM can't reach to other ESXi VM, is this because
VLAN offload not implemented in vmxnet3 PMD ? any clue can I address
the tagged vlan in ESXi environment?

Thanks!

Vincent