[dpdk-dev] Solarflare PMD submission question

Andrew Rybchenko arybchenko at solarflare.com
Mon Nov 21 09:46:01 CET 2016

On 11/21/2016 11:19 AM, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
>> Before submitting 56 patches I'd like to double-check that checkpatch.pl
>> errors (for example, because of assignments in the 'if' condition,
>> parenthesis around return value) is not a show-stopper for base driver
>> import.
> You can run checkpatches.sh or send the patches to checkpatch at dpdk.org.
> The script check-git-log.sh can also guide you for the expected formatting.

Yes, I did it and it helped me to find and fix some coding standard
violations.

The problem with libefx (base driver) is that it is existing code which
follows FreeBSD and illumos coding conventions which contradict to
checkpatches.sh sometimes (e.g. require parenthesis around return
value). Other example of error produced by checkpatches.sh is assign in
if. It is widely used in the code to assign return code value and
compare it vs 0 in one line. It is not a coding standard conflict, but
it is very wide-spread in the code (so changing it will produce too many
changes not strictly required/useful).

So, may I repeat my question if it is a show-stopper for base driver or
acceptable.

Thanks,
Andrew.