[dpdk-dev] dpdk/vpp and cross-version migration for vhost

Kavanagh, Mark B mark.b.kavanagh at intel.com
Thu Nov 24 16:24:52 CET 2016

>On 11/24/2016 12:47 PM, Maxime Coquelin wrote:

>>> Hmmm. I must have checked very old code ...

>>> I saw the commit introduced such change, but it tells no reason why
>>> it was added.
>>
>> I'm also interested to know the reason.
>
>I can't remember off hand, added Mark K or Michal W who should be able
>to shed some light on it.

DPDK v16.04 added support for vHost User TSO; as such, by default, TSO is advertised to guest devices as an available feature during feature negotiation with QEMU.
However, while the vHost user backend sets up the majority of the mbuf fields that are required for TSO, there is still a reliance on the associated DPDK application (i.e. in this case OvS-DPDK) to set the remaining flags and/or offsets. Since OvS-DPDK doesn't currently provide that functionality, it is necessary to explicitly disable TSO; otherwise, undefined behaviour will ensue.