[dpdk-dev] [RFC 0/7] changing mbuf pool handler

Hemant Agrawal hemant.agrawal at nxp.com
Wed Oct 5 13:49:15 CEST 2016

Hi Olivier,

[Hemant] The implementations with hw offloaded mempools don't want developer using *rte_mempool_create* for packet buffer pools.
This API does not work for hw offloaded mempool.

Also, *rte_mempool_create_empty* - may not be convenient for many application, as it requires calling  4+ APIs.

Olivier is not in favor of deprecating the *rte_mempool_create*.   I agree with concerns raised by him.

Essentially, I was suggesting to upgrade * rte_pktmbuf_pool_create* to be like *rte_mempool_create*  for packet buffers exclusively.

This will provide a clear segregation for API usages w.r.t the packet buffer pool vs all other type of mempools.

Regards,
Hemant