[dpdk-dev] Project Governance and Linux Foundation

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Mon Oct 17 23:23:42 CEST 2016

Hi,

On 10/17/2016 07:52 AM, O'Driscoll, Tim wrote:
> [...]

I just want to second what Tim said - it's important for Red Hat, at
least, that the technical governance of a project be kept separate from
any membership of an organization managing the budget for the project.

The technical management of the project can also be discussed, but it is
out of scope, IMHO, when talking about moving to fd.io or the Linux
Foundation.

>> The current DPDK version can run on virtually all processors (Intel, IBM
>> and ARM) and leverage all NICs: is there **really** anyone questionning
>> openness of the community?
>
> I still hear concerns on this, and based on discussions with others who put their names to the post below, they do too. I think it's a perception that we need to address.

I would say that there is still a perception issue, for companies who
look at the active developers, the owners of the project's resources
(infra, domain name), and who have heard anecdotal evidence of issues in
the past. I think the project has made a lot of progress since I have
been following it, and I do not believe there are any major issues with
the independence of the project. However, there are still concerned
parties on this front, and the concerns can be easily addressed by a
move to the LF.

Regards,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy
Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338