[dpdk-dev] Did we reduce unnecessary linkage too well?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Thu Sep 29 09:20:20 CEST 2016

On 09/29/2016 09:58 AM, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> Hi,
> I was finally getting to more deeply re-validate Openvswitch 2.6 together
> with DPDK 16.07. And I think I found a whiplash of our effort to reduce
> unnecessary hard linkage.
>
> Trying to avoid cross-posting, picking DPDK list and the main involved
> people on TO/CC.
>
> TL;DR:
> - pmd drivers are no more "auto"-loaded
> - adding -d ...so to all consuming applications feels obnoxious
> - do we really have to intentionally overlink some?
> - I hope I just overlook something trivial to fix this.

Yup. Set CONFIG_RTE_EAL_PMD_PATH to the path where your PMDs are
installed. Note that since the plugin autoloader in DPDK doesn't make
assumptions about names, it'll try to load *everything* in that path, so
you don't want it pointing to eg /usr/lib directly.

What we have on Fedora and RHEL is a /usr/lib(64)/dpdk-pmds/ directory
with symlinks to the actual pmds which reside in /usr/lib(64) because
some of them provide actual API.

	- Panu -