[dpdk-dev] [RFC] ethdev: add ioctl-like API to control device specific features

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Tue Aug 8 17:27:41 CEST 2017

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 09:32:07 +0100
Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit at intel.com> wrote:

> On 8/4/2017 1:56 PM, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> >> I am also not fan of the ioctl usage. I believe it hides APIs behind ids
> >> and prevent argument check by compiler.
> >>
> >> BUT, the number of the increasing PMD specific APIs are also worrying,
> >> it is becoming harder to maintain, and I believe this is something NOT
> >> sustainable in long run.
> >>

> >> What about having *eth_dev_extended_ops* ?
> >>

> >> As a part of the rte_eth_dev. This can be in the librte_ether library
> >> but in a separated file.
> >>
> >> And the APIs for these ops can be less strict on compatibility, and
> >> easier to add.
> >>
> >> Benefits of having this new dev_ops:
> >>
> >> * Having an abstraction layer for common checks.
> >>
> >> * Even feature is not generic for all NICs, still a few NICs can share
> >> the ops.
> >>
> >> * All APIs are in the same file makes it easy to see PMD specific APIs
> >> comparing to scattered into various PMDs.
> >>
> >> * This is very like ioctl approach, but APIs are more clear and
> >> arguments can be verified.
> >>

> > Sounds like an ethdev-staging library, where features can be put until
> > such time as they get critical mass for acceptance and promoted to
> > ethdev? It's sounds better than IOCTL, while giving the same benefits.
> >
> > I'd be happy enough with any solution that allows NIC features to be
> > exposed that does not have functions limited to each individual driver,
> > so that common functionality can be exposed to apps via an API even if
> > only 2 drivers support it.
>
> This is not decided yet, but to enable working on this for next release,
> is a deprecation notice required to add a new field to "struct
> rte_eth_dev" ?
>
> "struct rte_eth_dev" is marked as "@internal", so I believe deprecation
> notice is NOT required, but I would like to confirm.

Increasing the size of a structure used by API calls
will break ABI since the new version
of DPDK will read garbage off the end of the caller's input.
The problem could have been avoided if original DPDK API's had
used configuration structure and size of that struct.

Only structures allocated and only used internally could change.
It looks like rte_eth_dev is safe.