[dpdk-dev] [RFC 0/8] mbuf: structure reorganization

Olivier Matz olivier.matz at 6wind.com
Thu Feb 16 17:14:10 CET 2017

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 15:46:19 +0000, Bruce Richardson
<bruce.richardson at intel.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 02:48:07PM +0100, Olivier Matz wrote:
> > Hi Konstantin,
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback.
> > Comments inline.
> >

> > On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 18:41:27 +0000, "Ananyev, Konstantin"
> > <konstantin.ananyev at intel.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Olivier,
> > > Looks good in general, some comments from me below.
> > > Thanks
> > > Konstantin

> > > Wonder why it deserves to be in first cache line?
> > > How it differs from seqn below (pure SW stuff right now).
> >
> > In case the timestamp is set from a NIC value, it is set in the Rx
> > path. So that's why I think it deserve to be located in the 1st
> > cache line.
> >
> > As you said, the seqn is a pure sw stuff right: it is set in a lib,
> > not in a PMD rx path.

> > > Not that I am completely against it,
> > > but changing nb_segs to 16 bits seems like an overkill to me.
> > > I think we can keep and extra 8bits for something more useful in
> > > future.
> >
> > In my case, I use the m->next field to chain more than 256 segments
> > for L4 socket buffers. It also updates nb_seg that can overflow.
> > It's not a big issue since at the end, nb_seg is decremented for
> > each segment. On the other hand, if I enable some sanity checks on
> > mbufs, it complains because the number of segments is not equal to
> > nb_seg.
> >
> > There is also another use case with fragmentation as discussed
> > recently: http://dpdk.org/dev/patchwork/patch/19819/
> >
> > Of course, dealing with a long mbuf list is not that efficient,
> > but the application can maintain another structure to accelerate the
> > access to the middle/end of the list.
> >
> > Finally, we have other ideas to get additional 8 bits if required in
> > the future, so I don't think it's really a problem.

> > > I wonder can refcnt only be moved into the 2-nd cacheline?
> > > As I understand thanks to other change (from above) m->refcnt
> > > will already be initialized, so RX code don't need to touch it.
> > > Though yes, it still would require changes in all PMDs.
> >
> > Yes, I agree, some fields could be moved in the 2nd cache line once
> > all PMDs stop to write them in RX path. I propose to issue some
> > guidelines to PMD maintainers at the same time the patchset is
> > pushed. Then we can consider changing it in a future version, in
> > case we need more room in the 1st mbuf cache line.
> >

> If we are changing things, we should really do all that now, rather
> than storing up future breaks to mbuf. Worst case, we should plan for
> it immediately after the release where we make these changes. Have two
> releases that break mbuf immediately after each other - and flagged as
> such, but keep it stable thereafter. I don't like having technical
> debt on mbuf just after we supposedly "fix" it.

I think there is no need to do this change now. And I don't feel good
with the idea of having a patchset that updates all the PMDs to remove
the access to a field because it moved to the 2nd cache line
(especially thinking about vector PMDs).

That's why I think the plan could be:
- push an updated version of this patchset quickly
- advertise to PMD maintainers "you don't need to set the m->next,
  m->refcnt, and m->nb_segs in the RX path, please update your drivers"
- later, if we need more room in the 1st cache line of the mbuf, we
  can move refcnt and nb_seg, probably without impacting the
  performance.

Olivier