[dpdk-dev] Regarding phys port id in mellanox NIC

Adrien Mazarguil adrien.mazarguil at 6wind.com
Thu Feb 23 16:49:36 CET 2017

Hi Kural,

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 11:23:37AM +0000, Ramakrishnan, Kuralamudhan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding the phys port id in mellanox NIC, is this feature deprecated in the latest mlnx-en-dpdk driver ?
>
> Issue:
>
> I am working on the Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27520 Family [ConnectX-3 Pro] NIC.
> I used to read the /sys/class/net/enp6s0/phys_port_id file, this will give me the value as 248a070300728f70 for port 1 and 248a070300728f71 for port 2.

While I cannot answer about phys_port_id's deprecation status, how about
relying on the simpler dev_port file instead?

 /sys/class/net/enp6s0/dev_port

Which contains either 0 or 1 depending on the underlying physical port
number (that is, unless your Linux kernel version is < 3.15 in which case
you should look into the dev_id file instead, check priv_get_ifname() for
more info).

> The modinfo details before installing the mlnx-en-dpdk is as follows
>
> # modinfo mlx4_en
> filename: /lib/modules/4.4.0-59-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx4/mlx4_en.ko
> version:        2.2-1 (Feb 2014)
> license:        Dual BSD/GPL
> author:         Liran Liss, Yevgeny Petrilin
> srcversion:     CF3245DD50A90F3D536D0A7
> depends: mlx4_core,ptp,vxlan
> intree:         Y
> vermagic:       4.4.0-59-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
> parm: udp_rss:Enable RSS for incoming UDP traffic or disabled (0) (uint)
> parm: pfctx:Priority based Flow Control policy on TX[7:0]. Per priority bit mask (uint)
> parm: pfcrx:Priority based Flow Control policy on RX[7:0]. Per priority bit mask (uint)
> parm: inline_thold:Threshold for using inline data (range: 17-104, default: 104) (uint)
>
> After that that I installed the mlnx-en-dpdk drivers as follows.
>
> Download and extract Mellanox divers:
> # cd ~/packages
> # wget http://www.mellanox.com/downloads/ofed/MLNX_EN-3.4-2.0.0.0/mlnx-en-3.4-2.0.0.0-ubuntu16.04-x86_64.tgz
> # mkdir mlnx
> # tar xvzf mlnx-en-3.4-2.0.0.0-ubuntu16.04-x86_64.tgz --strip-components=2 -C mlnx/
> Update the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mlnx_ofed.list file with extraction directory path as mentioned below
> # echo "deb file:/root/packages/mlnx/DEBS ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mlnx_ofed.list
> Add key to the apt tool and then update
> # wget -qO - http://www.mellanox.com/downloads/ofed/RPM-GPG-KEY-Mellanox | sudo apt-key add -# apt update
> Install the driver
> # apt install -y mlnx-en-dpdk
>

> I am getting the error message as follows
>           # cat /sys/class/net/enp6s0/phys_port_id
>           cat: /sys/class/net/enp6s0/phys_port_id: Operation not supported

Same here, I'm not sure this file can be relied on anymore.

>      currently the modinfo details is as below.
>
> # modinfo mlx4_en
> filename:       /lib/modules/4.4.0-59-generic/updates/dkms/mlx4_en.ko
> version:        3.4-2.0.0 (23 Nov 2016)
> license:        Dual BSD/GPL
> author:         Liran Liss, Yevgeny Petrilin
> srcversion:     B25238324E1CDB4A38E4970
> depends:        mlx4_core,mlx_compat,ptp,vxlan
> vermagic:       4.4.0-59-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
> parm:           udp_rss:Enable RSS for incoming UDP traffic or disabled (0) (uint)
> parm:           pfctx:Priority based Flow Control policy on TX[7:0]. Per priority bit mask (uint)
> parm:           pfcrx:Priority based Flow Control policy on RX[7:0]. Per priority bit mask (uint)
> parm:           inline_thold:Threshold for using inline data (range: 17-104, default: 104) (uint)
>
> # hostnamectl
> Static hostname: ubuntu
> Icon name: computer-server
> Chassis: server
> Operating System: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
> Kernel: Linux 4.4.0-59-generic
> Architecture: x86-64
>
> Please let us know, is there any patch available to restore the phys port id in mellanox NICs ?

Well, I suggest using dev_port then. So far only mlx4 exposes two physical
ports on a single PCI bus address hence the need for this distinction.
This is not the case with mlx5, where dev_port is always 0.

> Kural
>
> Kuralamudhan Ramakrishnan

> Intel Research and Development Ireland Limited
> Registered in Ireland
> Registered Office: Collinstown Industrial Park, Leixlip, County Kildare
> Registered Number: 308263
>

> This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the sole
> use of the intended recipient(s). Any review or distribution by others is
> strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
> sender and delete all copies.

Remember this this a public mailing list, thankfully I'm one of the intended
recipients, phew!

--
Adrien Mazarguil
6WIND