[dpdk-dev] i40e_aq_get_phy_capabilities() fails when using SFP+ with no link

Olivier Matz olivier.matz at 6wind.com
Fri Jan 13 14:24:55 CET 2017

Hi,

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 14:55:54 +0100, Olivier MATZ
<olivier.matz at dev.6wind.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:51:58 +0000, "Rowden, Aaron F"
> <aaron.f.rowden at intel.com> wrote:
> > Hi Helin,
> >
> > I'm checking on this to see why it could be failing but I don’t
> > think this is one part of formal validation. Intel modules are
> > always what is recommended.
> >
> > Aaron
> >
> > > Hi Helin,

> > > As the original reporter of this issue, I will test with validated
> > > SFP+s and will report on my testing.
> > >
> > > Shouldn’t unsupported SFP+s be blacklisted in the I40E driver?
> > >

> Just to let you know that in my case the SFP are Intel ones.
> Maybe it's a different issue.
>
> I see there are some i40e fixes in the net-next repo, I'll give a try
> with this version.

The issue still exists in net-next.

I did a git bissect, and the commit that introduces the issue is:
f4668a33efe5 ("net/i40e: fix link status change interrupt")  [1]

If I revert it (with some conflicts), the problem I described
in [2] disappear.

Helin, Jinging, do you know what would be the consequences of reverting
this patch?

Christos, I don't know if it also helps for yor issue. If no, sorry for
having squatted your topic, the symptoms looked quite similar at first
glance.

Thanks,
Olivier

[1] http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/commit/?id=f4668a33efe5