[dpdk-dev] rte_ring features in use (or not)

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Wed Jan 25 16:59:55 CET 2017

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 25, 2017, at 7:48 AM, Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson at intel.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 01:54:04PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 02:20:52PM +0100, Olivier MATZ wrote:

>>> What do you call NIC stats? The stats that are enabled with
>>> RTE_LIBRTE_RING_DEBUG?
>>
>> Yes. By NIC I meant ring. :-(
>>>
> <snip>
>>> For the ring, in my opinion, the stats could be fully removed.
>>
>> That is my thinking too. For mempool, I'd wait to see the potential
>> performance hits before deciding whether or not to enable by default.
>> Having them run-time enabled may also be an option too - if the branches
>> get predicted properly, there should be little to no impact as we avoid
>> all the writes to the stats, which is likely to be where the biggest hit
>> is.

>>> This option looks like a hack to use the ring in conditions where it
>>> should no be used (preemptable threads). And having a compile-time
>>> option for this kind of stuff is not in vogue ;)
>>
> <snip>

>>> +1
>>>
> Bonus question:
> * Do we know how widely used the enq_bulk/deq_bulk functions are? They
>  are useful for unit tests, so they do have uses, but I think it would
>  be good if we harmonized the return values between bulk and burst
>  functions. Right now:
>    enq_bulk  - only enqueues all elements or none. Returns 0 for all, or
>                negative error for none.
>    enq_burst - enqueues as many elements as possible. Returns the number
>                enqueued.

I do use the apis in pktgen and the difference in return values has got me once. Making them common would be great,  but the problem is backward compat to old versions I would need to have an ifdef in pktgen now. So it seems like we moved the problem to the application.

I would like to see the old API kept and a new API with the new behavior. I know it adds another API but one of the API would be nothing more than wrapper function if not a macro.

Would that be more reasonable then changing the ABI?