[dpdk-dev] rte_ring features in use (or not)

Olivier Matz olivier.matz at 6wind.com
Tue Jan 31 11:53:49 CET 2017

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 17:29:18 +0000, "Ananyev, Konstantin"
<konstantin.ananyev at intel.com> wrote:

> > > I do use the apis in pktgen and the difference in return values
> > > has got me once. Making them common would be great,  but the
> > > problem is
> > backward compat to old versions I would need to have an ifdef in
> > pktgen now. So it seems like we moved the problem to the
> > application.
> > >

> > Yes, an ifdef would be needed, but how many versions of DPDK back
> > do you support? Could the ifdef be removed again after say, 6
> > months?
> > > I would like to see the old API kept and a new API with the new
> > > behavior. I know it adds another API but one of the API would be
> > > nothing
> > more than wrapper function if not a macro.
> > >
> > > Would that be more reasonable then changing the ABI?
> >
> > Technically, this would be an API rather than ABI change, since the
> > functions are inlined in the code. However, it's not the only API
> > change I'm looking to make here - I'd like to have all the
> > functions start returning details of the state of the ring, rather
> > than have the watermarks facility. If we add all new functions for
> > this and keep the old ones around, we are just increasing our
> > maintenance burden.
> >
> > I'd like other opinions here. Do we see increasing the API surface
> > as the best solution, or are we ok to change the APIs of a key
> > library like the rings one?
>
> I am ok with changing API to make both _bulk and _burst return the
> same thing. Konstantin

I agree that the _bulk() functions returning 0 or -err can be confusing.
But it has at least one advantage: it explicitly shows that if user ask
for N enqueues/dequeues, it will either get N or 0, not something
between.

Changing the API of the existing _bulk() functions looks a bit
dangerous to me. There's probably a lot of code relying on the ring
API, and changing its behavior may break it.

I'd prefer to deprecate the old _bulk and _burst functions, and
introduce a new api, maybe something like:

  rte_ring_generic_dequeue(ring, objs, n, behavior, flags)
  -> return nb_objs or -err

Olivier