[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-announce] release candidate 17.08-rc1

Morten Brørup mb at smartsharesystems.com
Mon Jul 10 10:05:58 CEST 2017

We have quite a few customers using our older hardware appliance model based on the Atom D525, and these appliances will not be firmware upgradable when we launch our DPDK based firmware. Although the Atom D525 is a 64 bit CPU, I don't know if DPDK ever supported it. If it was ever supported by DPDK, that support has also been silently removed - i.e. not mentioned in the DPDK Release Notes.

Traditionally, all of our firmware releases have been backwards compatible with all our hardware appliances, even those based on 32 bit CPUs launched more than a decade ago, i.e. before our Atom based hardware platform. The DPDK based firmware will break with this tradition, but we will be able to deal with it, probably by offering some kind of upgrade deal.

Med venlig hilsen / kind regards
- Morten Brørup