[dpdk-dev] [pull-request] next-tm 17.08 pre-rc1

Thomas Monjalon thomas at monjalon.net
Mon Jul 10 18:58:07 CEST 2017

10/07/2017 18:47, Dumitrescu, Cristian:
> From: Thomas Monjalon [mailto:thomas at monjalon.net]
> > 10/07/2017 17:46, Dumitrescu, Cristian:
> > > From: Thomas Monjalon [mailto:thomas at monjalon.net]

> > in

> > for
> > modular
> > 17.02.

> > > Why do you think it is useless? How would the driver get the function
> > specific (i.e. rte_flow, rte_tm, ...) operations structure?
> >
> > The drivers get the structure via rte_tm_ops_get() function which is
> > in the well named file rte_tm_driver.h
> > My question is about rte_eth_dev_tm_ops_get() function which is
> > in the file rte_ethdev.h.
> > Please explain the difference between both functions and why
> > rte_eth_dev_tm_ops_get() is needed.
> >
> > Sorry for opening the discussion, I don't see the explanation in doxygen.
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Yes, you're right: drivers get the TM ops structure through the rte_tm_ops_get(), which directly accesses the dev_ops. You are fine with this, right?

Yes

> Your concern is on the rte_eth_dev_tm_ops_get(), right?

Yes, I feel you start understanding what I'm talking about ;)

> This function can be used by the app to see if TM feature is supported (the ops output argument is non-NULL) or not (the ops output argument is NULL). Here we followed the rte_flow pattern. Are you suggesting that we should remove it?

Yes
As far as I know, the rte_flow API does not expose the ops to the application.
Can we have the drivers capabilities in a different way?
In general, capabilities are richer than just checking there
is a function. I think it is better to have flags.
Anyway, capabilities API can be discussed after 17.08 merge.