[dpdk-dev] i40e: pci probe fails when using one bogus sfp

Olivier Matz olivier.matz at 6wind.com
Thu Jun 8 12:13:48 CEST 2017

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 11:01:54 +0100, Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson at intel.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 08, 2017 at 11:29:17AM +0200, Olivier Matz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > One of our customers encounters an issue with dpdk when there
> > is a bogus SFP on one of the ports. The following message is
> > reported:
> >
> >   PMD: eth_i40e_dev_init(): Failed to sync phy type: -95
> >
> > (note: 95 is EOPNOTSUPP/ENOTSUP)
> >
> > Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the issue to give more details,
> > but the hypothesis is that it fails in i40e_dev_sync_phy_type().
> > It could be related to that patch:
> >
> >   http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/commit/?id=edfb226f69bf
> >
> > To me, the expected behavior should be:
> > - pci probe is succesful
> > - the initialization of the port with faulty SFP fails
> > - the initialization of the other ports is succesful
> >
> > Do you have any comment or idea to fix this issue?
> >
> And what is the current behaviour you are seeing? The whole PCI probe is
> terminating after the failure on the error port?

Yes, the probe is terminating

> Can that one problem
> port not just be blacklisted, since it's presumably unusable anyway?

This would imply the user (or the manager program) that launches the
application to parse the logs to detect which port fails and update
the configuration accordingly.

I think it would be better to return an error at port initialization,
so that the application can takes its dispositions directly. We could
even imagine that the port could be reenabled later once the SFP is
changed, without restarting the application.

Olivier